At the core of Xunlight’s technology are the semiconductor compositions called thin-film silicon (tf-Si) which are used to convert sunlight into electricity. These materials are ideal solar energy technologies for many applications for the following reasons:
- Efficient absorption of sunlight with ~1 µm thick film (vs 180 µm Si wafer)
- Low manufacturing cost
- Produced at low temperatures with short energy payback time
- Can be used with low-cost substrates such as plastic, glass, and metal
- Proven manufacturing process and product durability
- More energy output per rated Watt
- No toxic substance in the product
- No supply shortage
- Multi-junction device structure for higher conversion efficiency
To produce tf-Si modules, Xunlight utilizes its proprietary high-speed, low-cost roll-to-roll manufacturing process. This automated process allows us to transform a roll of steel 3 feet wide by a mile long into highly-efficient solar cells. As the metal foil is rolled, plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition systems and a magnetron sputter deposition system apply a chemical compound creating high-quality thin-filmsilicon solar cells.
Once the solar cells are created, the mile-long roll then moves to the module manufacturing stage where the individual modules are fabricated into finish product. During this significantly automated process, the solar cells are cut to specs, wired, encapsulated, and packaged, which ultimately results in durable, flexible, lightweight, and powerful solar modules.